Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Perception

I have found myself referring [mentally] to my step dad as my dad. I have spent my entire life referring to him as my step dad. It's interesting to me that at the age of 26 is when I have felt compelled to drop the 'step' in it. I know him better than my own father. He's raised me and known me longer than my own father. I mean, sure, we don't share any DNA but I think in a way that makes our love and bond stronger... 

Here is a man that has no obligation to me. Here is a man that was with my mom for ten years [from when I was 5 to 15] so he no longer is even my step dad by legal definition and wasn't my guardian when my mom passed away when I was 18. However, he's very much a part of my life and my son knows him as 'Papa'. 

I've always said 'step' in front of dad so not to confuse others about whom I was referring to when I spoke of one or the other. Although, sadly I must say, I have no connection to my biological father since he passed away when I was five and divorced my mom when I was about three. The man I have called my 'step' dad is the only father I know. And he's an incredibly strong man. We've had our ups and downs but the fact that he stood by me and supports me is a big deal. 

I also felt to call this other man my dad was disrespectful not just to my father's memory but to my father's family. I'm quite close to them and I know it hurts them to know that I don't feel connected to Mark. I have actually taken to referring to him as 'bio dad'. Which could be considered insulting since I usually only hear people use that reference when talking about a father figure that was nothing more than a sperm donor. Or in the instance where they were adopted. My parents were together for ten years or so... he wasn't a sperm donor and I wasn't given up. Feels weird. 

But I gotta say, it feels good to drop the 'step' and just call this man who raised me 'dad'. 

2 comments:

  1. i'm glad bob is there in your life. and i'm glad we are close. it does hurt, you missed out knowing a great man because of his selfishness. But i'm glad your mom made sure you guys knew us and i'm very thankful for our wonderful friendship. you're not just my niece you are my friend to and i love ya. Maybe just call him mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do that with the people that know more about dad. I just find myself drifting to referring to bob as my 'dad' more and more but there only to those it's clear who i'm referring to. i.e. using present tense that i'm going to go visit my dad and how much vik enjoys playing in his yard. obviously that can't be mark. i'm glad that mom spoke so much about him to us but being a girl and the youngest definitely impacted it. i think david feels much more connected to our dad than i do

    ReplyDelete